Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Beginning Here

After a semester of poetry class, I feel it is time. The hour has come, at precisely 2:41 AM on a friend's computer, to share my poetry. Gasps, I know. I am providing you, the reader, with poems that I wrote. I wrote these poems. I wrote them in my poetry workshop so I am proud because I worked hard at it. Read ahead.They are poems and I wrote them. Did you catch that? Here is the first one (it's the first one):


The Story of the Old Lady


 I. Me, present day
I come home tonight
and don’t know where to begin.
at home. which parts of me to put away.
and which parts of me to put ice on.

I don’t know which parts
of home to clean up
which sections to study
and which to tidy.
where to sweep
and where I should sleep.

what organs of me do I shelve?
What stomach do I place
above the hearth?
What liver, what set
of kidneys do I remove
dust off
and place on the mantle?

Where do I begin to
paraphrase the nonsense of my body?
to paraphrase the clutter
And hum of the days gone by?

II. The man, two years ago
Strewn about my home is
a spleen in the dresser.
a finger on the couch
left by the man who came
to visit a couple years back.

 his left temporal lobe and a sciatic nerve.
sit on the armrest
like remotes that no longer work.


III. The Plumber, Yesterday
I called him only
to repair my loneliness

 leaving his wrench,
a femur, and a liver
right below the sink.

 IV. Guests, Years Ago
tiny bones like spare
change lost under the loveseat
from guests that came
for dinner and cognac
during younger times

V. My Parents, 1989
ear cartilage is
left from my parents’ last
visit. their femurs and tibias
my inheritance

 through which door
am I supposed to exit
if they left through the front?

 I still remember their voices
like echoes sitting cross-
legged on my couch.

 VI. Him, 1997
Did I run through that hallway?
That secret passage
concealing the small nook
of my body he found
and kept for himself.

He was gone too soon.
and when he was
a back pain mistaken
for a heart consumed me.

 VII.
One heart I buried
back in the deep yard

dug up and chewed
by stray dogs
ages many times ago.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This poem is like wine; it gets better with time.